7/28/2010

Broken Joye

Yesterday the kids and I were at my dad's house. Alek threw a ball for my dad's dog and the dog's chain caught Joye at the ankles. It lifted her up off the ground, and she fell hard. I was more worried for head, that I saw smack off the ground. She cried for a while, but who wouldn't. She took a nap, and when she woke up she was favoring her right arm, so I looked at it and I thought she might have broken her collar bone. There was a little bump and I thought it was out of line. My dad just thought it was sore and I called Braden, and he said that he had broken kids' collar bones in wrestling and that they were in a ton of pain. He didn't think Joye would be so calm and be able to move her arm as much as she was. Well by the time we got home, she was in a little more pain, and couldn't lift her water bottle. We gave her some Motrin and she slept really good, 9 hours. This morning, she was swollen with a little bruise.

When we took her to the doctor, he said that he didn't think it was broken, maybe just a ripple fracture. When collar bones are broken, they stick out. He sent us over to x-ray. When we got back he came in and said, "I can't believe it. It is broken clear through." He showed us the x-ray and it was broke through and it had only shifted 1mm. He sent us home with a sling and an ace bandage to wrap around her to keep her arm close by her. He said it would take 4-6 weeks to heal. She needs to wear the sling and bandage for 2 weeks, then we can take the bandage off, and just let her wear the sling. In 4 weeks we need to go back in and get some more x-rays. The doctor said by then, it should have started to heal. If it hasn't we may need to do surgery, and put a plate on her collar bone. So please keep Joye in your prayers, that she can heal quickly, and not need surgery.

Joye was so tough. She only cried from pain, right after it happened. Every other time it would hurt, she would only whimper. She cried 3 times at the doctors. 1-She didn't want to stand or sit on the scale. 2-She didn't want to get her x-ray. 3-She didn't want the nurse touching her, to put her sling on. So in other words, she's just really stubborn. She is such a trooper. Braden needs to find those wrestlers from back in high school and tell them that his 2 year old daughter just showed them up ☺
This is a picture right before we went to the doctor. Her right, your left, you can see a little bruise, and if you look close a little bit different angle. Don't mind her crazy eyes.
Waiting for x-rays
The nurse getting her sling on.
Tonight. All smiles with her new accessory for the next 6 weeks!

8 comments:

Allyson said...

Poor girl! Good thing she is tough. I hope it heals up quick. I can't imagine being 2 and not being able to do everything you are used to doing.

Mark & Sherin said...

On my... Poor Joye, We've had a few broken collar bones at our house and they aren't very fun. I hope she heals quickly. Give her loves from me and Tay.

The Smiths said...

When Lexie was 2 she broke both of her legs and had to learn to walk in them. Joye should adjust too. Get well soon. Lots of Love from, Sierra, Cambree, Lexie, Lydia, Rusty and Becky.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Rindi! Stumbled across your blog...

Your sweet little girl! Bless her heart! What a trooper! Good eye, mom. I would've thought that was broken as well.

Staci Scott said...

Ouch! She is a tough one! I hope she will keep her "accessory" on and that it will heal properly without surgery.

jonisill said...

Little girls and their collar bones!! a couple months ago, Gavin was swinging and the little girl I babysit ran in front of him- it broke her collar bone- and Mackenzie was about the same age when she broke hers. She had the same sling and bandage too!! But, when we came home from the doctor, she kept it on only long enough for me to take a few pics, then it was on the floor!! She WOULD NOT wear it!! so, hopefully Joye will be more cooperative!!

Kapanak Family said...

I heard the news from Nesh, I think she was talking to one of you two. I was sad to have missed you while we were up there, but after hearing about Joye, I felt so bad for her I stopped being sad we didn' visit! Her brothers better watch out, they have alot to live up to because their little sister is such stud! Big shoes! I love that tough chick, mostly because she does it with such a sweet smile.........total package! Good luck guys!

Doran & Jody said...

Oh SMACK! Now I know why this cute little girl was all "wrapped up" on Sunday.

Hope she heals fast.